Updated June 2019.
- What Personal Information does Voortman Cookies Collect?
- Why does Voortman Cookies Collect Personal Information?
- How does Voortman Cookies Collect, Use and Disclose Personal Information?
- To Whom does Voortman Cookies Disclose Personal Information?
- Privacy and Voortman Cookies’ Websites
- Security Safeguards
- Individual Access to Personal Information
- Who to Contact and Making Changes to Your Personal Information
- Unsolicited Information
Voortman Cookies’ products are distributed by a network of retailers, primarily in North America. Aside from the retail store located at our bakery in Burlington, Ontario, we do not sell directly to consumers. Neither our products nor our website is targeted at data subjects resident in the European Union.
- WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES VOORTMAN COOKIES COLLECT?
Consumers: Voortman Cookies may collect personal information about consumers when they visit our website, submit information to our websites, call our Customer Contact Centre or otherwise communicate with us (e.g. to enter a contest, request information or mailings, buy a product or service, or participate in a survey).
Children: Voortman Cookies is committed to protecting the privacy of children and we do not knowingly solicit information from children under the age of 13, and our website is not directed at children. If a child has already provided us with personal information, his or her parent or guardian may contact us for the purpose of correcting or deleting this information. We encourage parents of children under the age of 13 to regularly check and monitor their children’s use of email and the Voortman Cookies websites.
- WHY DOES VOORTMAN COOKIES COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Voortman Cookies and its agents, affiliates and service providers generally collect, use and/or disclose Personal Information in order to operate and promote our business, including for the following purposes:
- to understand consumer needs and preferences, and, with their permission, to respond to communications made by website visitors and consumers
- to administer the Voortman Cookies Consumer Services Contact Centre and to respond to consumer inquiries;
- to conduct surveys, contests and promotions;
- to conduct research and statistical analysis;
- to distribute Voortman Cookies newsletters, promotional information, product samples, coupons and other material to individuals who have voluntarily enrolled in our mailing lists and/or emailing lists, including via third party mailing houses;
- to develop, enhance, market, sell, provide and inform individuals of, Voortman Cookies products and services;
- to develop, enhance, market, sell, provide and inform individuals of, products and services of third parties, including our affiliates and suppliers, with whom Voortman Cookies has a commercial relationship;
- to monitor communications made by Voortman Cookies, its affiliates, suppliers, distributors, retailers and other third parties with whom Voortman Cookies has a commercial relationship, in order to ensure the consistency and quality of our customer service;
- with respect to individual service providers, suppliers, distributors and retailers, to: (1) consider whether Voortman Cookies or any of its affiliates should establish or continue a commercial relationship, including without limitation, to extend credit and to evaluate credit standing and to match credit bureau or credit reporting agency information, to check references and to confer with banking institutions; and (2) establish and maintain commercial relationships, to provide products and services, administer accounts, make and receive payments, facilitate product delivery and returns, and fulfil contractual obligations;
- to detect and protect Voortman Cookies and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud and other illegal activity; to comply with Voortman Cookies audit requirements; and to audit compliance with Voortman Cookies policies, procedures, laws and contractual obligations;
- to engage in business transactions that may involve the sale or transfer of personal information, including the purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, securitization or financing involving Voortman Cookies or its affiliates or any particular brand, product line or business unit;
- as permitted or required by, and to comply with, any laws or regulations; and
- for any other purpose to which an individual consents.
- HOW DOES VOORTMAN COOKIES COLLECT, USE AND DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION
Identifying Purposes for Collection of Personal Information
Voortman Cookies identifies the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the personal information is collected. Some of the identified purposes for which Voortman Cookies currently collects, uses or discloses personal information are described in Section 3 above.
Obtaining Consent for Collection, Use or Disclosure of Personal Information
The knowledge and consent of an individual are required for the collection, use, or disclosure of his or her personal information, except as permitted by law. In obtaining consent, Voortman Cookies uses reasonable efforts to ensure that an individual is advised of the identified purposes for which personal information will be used or disclosed. In determining the appropriate form of consent, Voortman Cookies takes into account the sensitivity of the personal information and the reasonable expectations of a reasonable person. An individual may withdraw consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. At that time, Voortman Cookies will advise the individual of the implications of such withdrawal.
Limiting Collection of Personal Information
Voortman Cookies limits the collection of personal information, both the amount and the type of information, which is necessary for the purposes identified by Voortman Cookies. Voortman Cookies collects personal information by fair and lawful means, and not by misleading or deceiving individuals about the purpose for which information is being collected.
Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention of Personal Information
Voortman Cookies does not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than the identified purposes for which it is collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required or permitted by law. Voortman Cookies retains personal information only as long as is necessary to fulfil the identified purposes.
Accuracy of Personal Information
Personal information held by Voortman Cookies is as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. Information will be sufficiently accurate, complete, and up-to-date to minimize the possibility that inappropriate information may be used to make a decision about an individual. Voortman Cookies does not routinely update personal information, unless such process is necessary to fulfil the identified purposes. We rely on individuals to inform us of any changes to their personal information. To update your personal information, please see Section 8 below.
Voortman Cookies protects personal information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. Voortman Cookies uses reasonable efforts and security measures to protect personal information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, modification, disposal or destruction.
Openness Concerning Policies and Practices
Individual Access to Personal Information
Upon written request from an individual, Voortman Cookies will inform the individual of the existence, use, and disclosure of his or her personal information and, subject to certain exceptions provided by law, will give the individual a reasonable opportunity to review the personal information collected by Voortman Cookies who will make every reasonable effort to provide personal information in an understandable form within a reasonable time, generally within 30 days, and at minimal cost to the individual. An individual will be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate. If access is denied, Voortman Cookies will inform the requesting individual in writing.
- TO WHOM DOES VOORTMAN COOKIES DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Voortman Cookies generally collects Personal Information from you directly, however, from time to time we may collect or disclose personal information from or to:
- service providers retained by Voortman Cookies to perform functions on its behalf or to provide services to Voortman Cookies, such as advertisers, promotion and mailing houses, market researchers, delivery contractors, auditors, website administrators, data processing, information technology and office services, provided such organization or individual does not collect, use or disclose the personal information for any purpose other than to perform such functions or provide services to Voortman Cookies. Such service providers receive or have access to only the Personal Information that they required in order to provide the service for which they were engaged, and are contractually required to keep the information confidential and protect it using appropriate security safeguards; or
- any third party where the subject individual consents to such collection, use or disclosure, or as required or permitted by law.
- PRIVACY AND VOORTMAN COOKIES WEBSITES
Online and Offline Communications
In order to provide you with a product, service or information, you may voluntarily submit personal information to us for purposes such as registering for our services, obtaining information, corresponding with us, and participating in contests and surveys. We may combine and store personal information about your use of our websites and the online information you have provided with certain other online and offline information we may have collected.
If you subscribe to any of our e-newsletters or other similar website services, Voortman Cookies may send you email communications with information that may be useful to you, including information about the products and services of Voortman Cookies, its affiliates and other third parties with whom we have a commercial relationship. We will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of your preferences if you decide you do not want to receive any future marketing or promotional emails from Voortman Cookies. In addition, at any time you may let us know that you wish to discontinue such mailings or contact by contacting the Customer Services Contact Centre.
Our websites may contain links to other websites which are provided to you as a convenience only. You are advised that other third party websites may have different privacy practices than Voortman Cookies, and Voortman Cookies Limited has no responsibility for such third party websites.
- Security Safeguards
Voortman Cookies protects personal information by security safeguards, appropriate to the sensitivity of the information, that are designed to personal information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, modification, disposal or destruction.
We, and our service providers, retain Personal Information for only so long as required to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected.
Note that Voortman Cookies or our service providers may store or process Personal Information outside of Canada, where it will be subject to the laws of the jurisdiction in which it is stored.
- Individual Access to Personal Information
Upon your written request, Voortman Cookies will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of your personal information and, subject to certain exceptions provided by law, will give you a reasonable opportunity to review the personal information we hold about you.
- WHO TO CONTACT, AND MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- to correct, update or delete your personal information from our records
- to unsubscribe from mailings and other Voortman Cookies Limited mailings (you may also unsubscribe to marketing and promotional email messages by using the unsubscribe mechanism in those messages)
- to otherwise opt-out of the use of your Personal Information for marketing purposes
Voortman Cookies Service Providers, Suppliers, Distributors, Retailers and for all other privacy-related inquiries:
- UNSOLICTED INFORMATION